Bipolar Patients Can Lose Weight - Nutrisystem Coupons Can Help
A lot of us bipolars know how tough it can be for us to lose our extra weight while we are on our prescribed medications. From running marathons and taking the stairs at office, to eating less food, we usually try it all. But I keep hearing many stories of patients with bipolar disorder who are suffering from poor body image and almost losing faith in themselves because nothing seems to work.
I have been in the deep end of the pool myself, and I know what each one of you might be feeling right now. But we all need to keep hope. Recently, the New England Journal of Medicine published results of a study funded by the National Institute of Mental Health, which stated that people with bipolar disorders can certainly lose weight and keep themselves physically fit with a new lifestyle intervention program.
What did the study find?
People with mental illnesses experience 3 times higher death rate comparing to the overall population. This is because 80% of mentally ill people are overweight or obese. Obesity easily leads to serious medical conditions like cancer, cardiovascular diseases and diabetes. Why are bipolars usually overweight? Because they often live a sedentary lifestyle. Add to this the fact that bipolar disorder medications increase appetite in people, and we have a problem in our hands that is almost unsolvable.
One of the reasons medicine has not solved this issue is because very few studies have been focused on patients with bipolar disorders. Gail L. Daumit, M.D. at John Hopkins University, admits as much and stated that they have reasons to believe that bipolar patients can “make successful, sustained changes with proper interventions.”
The aforementioned research started out by identifying the factors that make weight loss difficult in bipolar patients. Some of the factors located are:
- Many bipolar patients do not have the socioeconomic means to join gyms where they could properly exercise to shed the extra weight.
- A lot of people suffering from bipolar disorder are socially maladjusted. Social phobia keeps their “social fitness” low, so they hardly want to go to a public place to do their workouts.
- Lack of motivation also acts as a big challenge as most bipolar patients have a hard time to work up the inspiration and do something different.
Dr. Gail L. Daumit decided to solve most of these challenges by bringing nutritionists and gym coaches to areas where bipolar patients already frequent, like their psychiatric rehabilitation centers.
In this study, there were about 300 participants—all under three psychotropic medications which cause weight gain. They were split into 2 groups. One group, the control, received the usual weight loss approach which is simple information on nutrition and physical activity aspects. The other group attended a more intensive program, for the same time. This program included individual weight loss classes three times a week. This group aimed at meeting certain goals, like reducing caloric intake and eating more fruits and vegetables.
The result? Participants of the intensive weight loss program lost 7 pounds more weight. What’s more, they didn’t gain the weight back, even one year later.
The results of the study stressed on the importance of maintaining a lifestyle intervention program like Nutrisystem or Bistro MD, which help in weight loss. The Nutrisystem weight loss program provides pre-packed meals which are full of good carbs that have low glycemic index. It encourages consumption of plenty of vegetables that help people to maintain a happy and active life. Similarly Bistro MD—a program created by Dr. Cederquist—brings healthy food right to your door.
If you decide to join Nutrisystem, save 40% with a promo code. A Nutrisystem promo code is for online purchases only. If you purchase the product from a Walmart, the coupon will not apply.
Coupons for Bistro MD
A Bistro md promo code will save you $99 for the 7-day plan and $51 for the 5-day plan. Coupons change every few months, and the old ones expire, so just search online for a Bistro MD coupon to find the one that works.
How does Nutrisystem help?
Nutrisystem works according to its own dietary regimen that is built and customized to fit the needs of every single consumer. People who buy the company’s pre-made foods can choose any meal that they want from the available menu, and arrange their daily meal plans effectively. Several benefits of this program include:
- Nutrisystem keeps the portion of the meals moderated. This means that consumers won’t be able to over eat. This will keep their weight controlled.
- This weight management program offers advice to its consumers to maintain a stress free ambience so that they do not let their depression affect them. The program also helps the patients visualize success mentally so as to stay motivated.
- Their meal plans include a combination of healthy ingredients that make for a wholesome food intake. Their usual plans include low-fat proteins, vegetables, adequate amount of grains, vitamins and minerals—all with low sodium content.
- This meal management program is very good for bipolar patients who often do not have the energy to cook. Also, they can maintain a structure regarding what they are eating every day, and this helps them to balance their life productively.
I have been personally using Nutrisystem to manage my weight and so far, I have been experiencing nothing but the best results I could have ever hoped for!
Vitamin B is Good for Bipolars: Use My Vitacost Promo Code $10 Off
While vitamins cannot treat bipolar disorder, they can alleviate its symptoms. As a bipolar myself, I have found vitamin B helps me fight depression and anxiety. B vitamins relate to the regulation of mood. I take my B complex supplement from Vitacost. From Vitacost I get health and wellness products at a discount. Use the vitacost promo code VITA10 to save $10.